Tuesday, August 11, 2015

How melanoma changed my life...

Back to Life, (this song motivated the title of my blog)


Yesterday was a day that I was reminded of how my outside activities have been affected by melanoma.  My family and I visited Travertine Hot Springs, outside of Bridgeport, CA. In my 20s, I was the first one to take off my clothes and jump in any hot water!  I did not think twice about the sun. 
Who can resist this? I sure couldn't!  I grew up visiting these types of natural wonders.... yet.... yesterday it was in the middle of the day, and the sun was way HIGH UP in the sky. My poor white body did not need this exposure at all. I did not get in the hot springs. 

DAMN YOU melanoma!!

I know I am not the only one to be affected by melanoma. The people out there diagnoses with stage 1 are now covering up all the time!  They feel fear of the sun that was never there before.  Families are mourning the loss of loved ones, a number too big for me to think about now. My eyes are filled with tears thinking of all the people who have lost their lives to "just skin cancer!"  

For today, I will approach my life with much respect for the sun's rays and use this knowledge to warn others about the dangers of too much exposure.

I have been blessed with a 2nd chance to get Back to Life and I will continue to spread a message of HOPE and AWARENESS for melanoma and fighting cancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment