Sunday, February 24, 2013

Facing Death

This topic has been on my mind. I watched Robin Roberts on 20/20 and she talked about going into a coma like state and hearing her name. She thought it was her Mom, who had passed away. Yet, it was her nurse, calling her back. At that moment she chose to come back. I had tears rolling down my face as I listened to her story. I knew exactly what she was feeling. I had a similar moment in my treatment.


When you are diagnosed with stage IV melanoma, you face death. It is inevitable that you think about dying. During my treatments there were a few times I did not know if I was going to make it. After either the 2nd or 3rd cycle of bio chemo I remember laying in my parents bed and having a "moment" of outer body communication. I was in SO MUCH PAIN, and I was so EXHAUSTED. I knew at that time, I could give up and let go of my body. It seemed to be failing me and only torturing me. Someone gave me a book on angels....and many people who know me, know I love angels. I lay still and prayed to my guardian angels and I knew they were there. I also became aware that there was more to the afterlife. I knew it in my heart. I decided to hang on and at least see if the western medicines were able to kill the cancer.

After my 3rd treatment, the scans revealed that the cancer was dying. It was WORKING.

It is very hard for people to talk to someone who is dying...or has almost died. When I returned to my home town people did not recognize me and people did not talk to me really. Few people made effort to stop by my house and say hello, welcome back. My close call with death was uncomfortable for people.

I think, as a society, we do not talk about death. We avoid death and focus on staying young. YET, death is something that to my great sadness, has come to TOO MANY YOUNG WARRIORS of melanoma. I do not know why I am here and others who are younger did not make it through the treatments....this is something I think about often. BUT, I do know know that facing death changed me.

GOD BLESS Robin Roberts for sharing her story and her strength  She has shed light on the importance of FAMILY and FRIENDS and LOVE while we are here on earth.

My Daughter and I = LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment