Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The BiG C : CHANGE


There is no manual as to how one deals with the emotions of recovering from cancer. I had many friends who had gone through cancer treatments and yet I never truly knew what they were going through. I had even gone through my first cancer scare at 32 with a Clark’s level 4 melanoma and a lymph node biopsy. Yet, nothing prepares you for the news that you are stage IV malignant melanoma. Nothing prepares you for the fear.

Now I am 18 months out of treatment and most people do not even know I had cancer unless I tell them. I try to not let having cancer define who I am now, but that is impossible. I am a survivor!  I am a fighter! I beat the odds!

How have I changed? I am less likely to put up with mean behavior. I let things go that used to get under my skin, like who does the chores at home. Well, I am still working on that one! I speak my mind with more certainty these days. I stand taller and and let you know how I feel instead of being a doormat. Recently someone mentioned to me I was being “preachy” and my response to that was to “LIKE” it.
So, fellow cancer warriors, let’s all stand tall and say what we mean, but don’t say it mean. Because we are all on borrowed time. 

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!" REM

No comments:

Post a Comment