Wednesday, June 26, 2019

8 Years Later

It’s amazing how much changes in 8 years. 8 years ago I had just completed 5 rounds of one of the most toxic treatments and a major surgery that included a complete dissection of the left auxiliary (left armpit) lymph nodes for a stage 4 metastatic melanoma diagnosis.  One doctor had said “go home” and another saved my life. The shock and trauma that this type of diagnosis puts a family through is unimaginable.

Yesterday I literally found myself wearing a swimsuit and in the Caribbean sea during the day! The sun came out and I felt vulnerable. Knowing what I know about the dangers of the sun I envy the people who walk without a hat and seem oblivious to sun exposure.

Thoughts for those who’ve unfortunately became a part of the cancer world. Real affects of this life experience of fighting cancer.

 1) PTSD: family members and the cancer patient all experience varying levels of anxieties after faced with death. Caring for yourself and caregivers caring for themselves is beyond important. Joining support groups and leaning on other’s experience, strength, and HOPE is the best advice I can offer. That’s why I share my story of survival.

2) Anxiety of a reoccurring cancer. For me this never really goes away. I will always be a cancer patient on some level. Gratefully the more time that passes the more I’m convinced I beat it! Each day is a gift and more than ever it’s important to be true to your heart.

3) My goal now is to live my authentic life. Say what I mean but don’t say it mean... work hard and play hard because that damn cancer will always be lurking around the corner. Maybe fighting melanoma twice is all I’m destined to experience. While others fight for years...

To all the newly diagnosed, know that there are doctors out there working on a CURE! Know that others have been where you have been and we support you in our prayers! Even if you haven’t met us...

Live life with purpose and have fun when you can. Get out there and wear your sunscreen!

No comments:

Post a Comment