Saturday, February 3, 2018

FIGHT ON

During my fight I would often close my eyes and not know if I would wake up again. Too weak to walk more than 5 or 6 feet, too small to be seen under the blankets of the bed, and almost too weak to fight, but I endured 5 treatments of biochemotherapy.

"Did you get sick from chemo?" people often ask. I lost all my hair, was 60 pounds lighter than I am now, and could hardly walk.  Yes, I was sick.  During my treatments, I was not convinced I had much longer to live and decided to face my last days with 1) dignity, and 2) use every ounce of energy to FIGHT.


After I was declared No Evidence of Disease in June of 2011, I WAS EXHAUSTED, I was SCARED it was temporary, and I HAD PTSD for YEARS. Once the physical recovery starts, an entire mental recovery begins. Fighting cancer stays with you forever.
I am now 6 1/2 years out of the last treatment and surgery. I am back to being "normal." 
YET, everyday is still a FIGHT to make sure cancer does not return.  

Everyday I think about how can I help others and continue to FIGHT!


That is why I organize a fun walk/run for AIM @ Melanoma.  MY sweet cousin was also diagnosed with melanoma!  There are SO MANY people affected by melanoma. 

 TOO MANY people who think it is JUST SKIN CANCER!



I continue to FIGHT and will not ever stop sharing my story of recovery, fighting, and HOPE.

https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/lagunaniguel2018/

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete